My dear Ammakutty!

During one of our weekly visits to the Sai Center here in Basel, the regular singers were missing, so I was asked if I could sing and I gladly agreed. But when the moment came, I was all nerves and was literally shaking. Narayan later told me I did ok!

I kept thinking why this shakespearean behaviour had occurred and for some reason thought of my parents. I kept thinking of how Amma and Appa never get perturbed or fret, they are generaly at ease with whoever they meet.

When asked to sing, Amma just sings, no nerves, no shivering. And then I thought, I have never seen Amma overdo anything before - she is always serene and composed. She never loses her composure or confidence when she meets anyone. She is always the same - smiling and confident. She never says anything out of turn nor does she hurt anyone nor does she snap at anyone - whatever the situation she is in and she has been in many difficult situations. Amma also does not compare with others and she is happy being herself. Her sense of fair play, duty and patience are remarkable indeed! Her affection for our family members and friends is abundant and she is genuinely happy to meet family and friends - ever the gregarious Sagitarius!

Amma also has an inherent sense of balance about everything - never being overly enthusiatic or going to the other end. She can enjoy both Carnatic music and tolerate dappan koothu. She is religious but still enjoys going out for a meal, she just joins in without making a fuss. She is always open to suggestions - collecting cooking tips and others. She enjoys good books and nice movies. She can fit into any age group. She has an inherent sense of happiness and is always pleasant. She, Athais and Chithis sometimes get into this naughty laughter mode - cracking vague jokes, though she always makes sure she does not say anything in front of me or my brothers. She can fit into any philosophical disussion or musical discussion - though she never does it to show off. She also has a good sense of humour and teases us quite frequently(usually accompanied by a twinkle in her eye).

She loves classical dance and music and bhajanais. She has a fantastic taste - always elegant, be it in clothes or jewellery, books or culture. And of course, she is so lovely to look at.

Sometimes I wonder, all my education, travelling, working at MNCs and abroad - I still can't hold a candle to her. Amma, you are simply the best!