Whatsapp

First came my iPhone4s sometime last year after my Samsung Galaxy repeatedly cut calls 30 seconds into a call. The tech guys could not fix the problem, so I upgraded to iPhone (I am not an Apple fan because of Apple's suicide factory nametag and their terrible environment policy, which my husband tells me is a thing of the past). I complained and cribbed a lot for a couple of weeks about not able to get anything done on the iPhone, how difficult everything was. After a couple of weeks though, it was how can I use any other phone but this?  A convert for sure - I could go on on and on about how user friendly it has been made and aesthetically pleasing it is.  And for once I sincerely really hoped my husband was right!

And then I discovered emoticons or Emoji as it is called. Now I was at a different level of user experience, no message was complete without an emoticon. A picture can express a thousand words, righr? :)
As for the phone camera, I was suddenly a professional, snapping away. I was using notes, reminders and pretty much loving it all. I especially liked the ring tone feature, which can be disabled yet the alarm rings loud and clear, genius or what!This one really thrilled me to bits!

Then in Aug 2014 after a trip to India, I finally installed Whatsapp! Again another life changing event! How can such a small thing bring so much joy? I was back in touch with my cousins, friends, exchanging recipes, tips, photos of what we had cooked etc. And songs and music and videos. And pictures of new borns. And silly comments, PJs, witticisms, sharing festivals, new clothes. And pains, and aches, both literal and otherwise.  Oh, the many forays down the nostalgic lane, meandering like the puzhai in Trikkur! A nibble, a word, that suddenly opens up an old memory! The joys of childhood and the excitement of the teen years! An old world seen through new eyes and what joy!

Of course it is not the same as seeing someone in person, but it has brought me so many miles closer!