April 15th: Daffodils!

A beautiful sunny day yesterday, so we ventured out to the park. It was delightful seeing so many people and squirrels, geese, pigeons, robins etc... almost like everyone wanted a bit of sunshine.. We were all basking.

The daffodils were beautiful, the way the flowers can only shine (almost with an ethereal aura) when sunlight dances on them, so bright and yellow.. I came back home and read my favourite poem by Wordswoth.

Wordsworth saw these flowers in the wild in the Lake District, a very scenic place indeed, full of mountains and hills and lakes. I leave you to read and enjoy the poem ...

I wandered lonely as a Cloud
That floats on high o'er Vales and Hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd
A host of dancing Daffodils;
Along the Lake, beneath the trees,
Ten thousand dancing in the breeze.

The waves beside them danced, but they
Outdid the sparkling waves in glee: --
A poet could not but be gay
In such a laughing company:
I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude,
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the Daffodils.


Composed, 1804
Published, Poems in Two Volumes 1807