Palace for the Poor, Chennai

The Ramakrishna Mission Student's Home in Mylapore, Chennai, adjacent to the Vivekananda College was established about a hundred years ago to provide education to boys who are eager for education but cannot afford it. 

The school has a history of serving the community selflessly for more than a century, becoming a friend in need, providing quality education and vocational training to the poor and destitute. The institution affiliated with the Ramakrishna Mission, Belur Math is a proud landmark of Mylapore.

The monks of Sri Ramakrishna Math offer selfless services. My brother Jayaraman, one of the many volunteers of the Mission, took me around the Student Home premises on my recent trip to Madras. He first took me to the prayer hall housing huge photos of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, Sharada Devi and an idol of Goddess Saraswati - more than 100 years old, a serene hall ideal for contemplation and meditation and quietening the thoughts. He then took me to the room where Swami Bramhananda, who laid the foundation stone of the current premises and opened it on Akshaya Thrittiya, stayed. The room is maintained as is and we paid our respects. We passed classrooms where classes were in progress and visited the vocational center.  The kitchen, the solar energy panels were other points of interest.

We met with the Secretary of the school. I have heard the phrase 'Vasudeva Kutumbakam' used in many instances but this was one of the instances in the recent years I saw it in talk and action. The plans the Secretary, a monk of the Ramakrishna order, discussed with my brother for empowering students in village schools and giving them a taste of opportunities that come by easily in urban schools, the care and concern showed such genuine compassion without care for name or fame. And, this is just one of the many student welfare programs. It remains one of the highlights of my trip. 

Many companies and individuals volunteer at the school, providing the know-how and services. The school runs as a well oiled machine by the grace of Sri Ramakrishna and the faith of the monks of the Mission.

More info: https://www.rkmshome.org.in/

My brother suggested reading books on Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and writings by Swami Vivekananda, which he finds very inspiring and he gave me this book. I am reading the book and it is a treasure trove.