Neha Jokes

Harini, my lovely niece was about 6 or 7 years old, when one day she came home and told us how her class-mate Neha was mean to her. In an attempt to cheer her up, and hoping that she would find it funny, I told her a joke about Neha. Well, it was a straight lift from the character Kutchu(from my class 2 & 3 English). Kutchu was known for being dumb. So Kutchu became Neha in the jokes.

The first one went like this: Neha's grand-mother was ill and the Doctor prescribed a medicine. The medicine came as a tonic and among the other things listed on the bottle's cover were the words - SHAKE WELL. Neha reads this and since she thinks 'I am an expert, I know everything' (that like in the movies, is Neha's byline) and goes about giving her grand-mother a wee good shake before giving her the medicine. Of course, the parents intervene and give Neha a good slapping. And Neha's paati is called 'Shaker Paati' from then on.

And it was a super-duper hit! Harini loved it so much, she would ask me for more and more. Some would be hilarious, the others would fall flat!

As the jokes grew, Neha's imaginary family grew as well, Neha's brother Sidharth, her cousin Nehini & her neighbour Rakhi. Another hit joke runs like this: It is Raksha Bandhan time and Neha's mother asks her to tie Rakhi to Sidharth. You must have already guessed how this runs, Neha ties Rakhi and Sidharth together with a rope.

Soon I was on the watch out for pun words that would confuse Neha, cram as many Supandis as I could from Tinkle - all in an attempt to tell Harini another Neha joke. My Appa and Jayaram and Vijayan all knew about Neha jokes and they contributed to it.

Harini will soon be a teenager and all grown-up, but for me Neha jokes will be a reminder of the little girl who would laugh with so much glee at Neha's antics! And I still continue to watch out for more Neha stories!