Shopping Evolution!

When I was in India, all my papers fitted into 2 files - one contained school certificates, the other contained the Pass Book, Cheque Book.
All my clothes came colour co-ordinated; as Salwar Kameez sets or as a Saree& Blouse, I did not really need to spend time on them except for the mix and match ones.
All clothes were made basically for one season - with average temperatures about 28 degrees. If the temperature got lower than these, I would add a sweater or a nice shawl! Shoes were also designed for one season in mind.
Jewellery was basically in gold and could be used to accessorize any salwar/saree one wore.
The rules of dressing was just one - modesty! You can wear the salwar kameez to the temple, wedding, concert, school, office and the same goes for pretty much any other dress.

Fast forward now - I moved to London 3 years ago.
I have learnt that papers are important, they are proof and basically needed for everything from library membership, gym memberships to Visa processing. So these days I have about a dozen files (a great excuse to scour the local stationers Rayman & Purple Chase)- for Bank Statement, Mobile Bills, Electricity, Gas bills et al.

I have learnt that the seasons demand different clothes - lighter ones in summer and heavier/warmer ones in Winter and different ones for the Spring/Autumn days. We are talking temperatures ranging from 0 degrees to 20 degrees.
I am still learning to colour co-ordinate and accessorize. It does become quite easy in Winter when the ubiquitous winter jacket basically masks whatever you wear.
Seasons & occasions demand different shoes - so now I have gym shoes, walking shoes, winter boots and lighter ones for summer and winter.

I am still trying to learn the rules of dressing - gym clothes are just for the gym, Jeans and Casuals for casual days, formals for work, formal-casual for the evening performances, with different shoes, bags and accessories. And clothes with extra frills in the front are actually maternity clothes and people will congratulte you or speculate if you wear such.

Well, when in India, it was just buying - taking an auto to Commercial Street or Ranganthan Street, eating Chaat or stopping by Saravana Bhavan and actually buying something spontaneously when you spot it, fall in love with it and decide you just cannot live without it!
But now it is a more intelligent activity as it involves seasons, occasions, machine wash, accessories, modest, deals, sale, budgetary considerations and even etical considerations (child labour, enviornment friendly, fair trade)! Pooh, no wonder after a trip to Oxford Street, I am as exhausted as I would be after taking an Engineering exam.

On the positive side though, I did the Mensa test the other day, and I got a greater score than when I had taken it a few years ago. Finally I have figured out why!