Trikkur Chithi

I was born in Trichur. Amma, Sangam Chitappa and Chithi went to the Trichur Mission Hospital for a check-up and then suddenly I was born. No preps, no pain, no fore-warning! They were not prepared and Chithi was left with the baby me while Chitappa went to Trikkur with the news. Of course, it did not help at all that it was the 1st of April and no one believed anything. Chithi took care of me and Amma. So my relationship with Chithi started right then, she was the first person to carry me. Amma recollects how among other things Chithi would rub butter over me when I was a baby so I would have good skin.

Until we moved to Trikkur in 1988, I remember visiting Trikkur only about 4 times. The first time was for Kalyanam Chitappa's wedding. Then a summer vacation when I was in the 1st or 2nd standard. Amma got 6 dresses made by Babu tailor especially for the occasion. One of them was a black polka dot with leaf green butterfly sleeves, which I left behind at Trikkur and the other is the one in the photo that SuriBabu Sir took.

The second trip was for Thatha's Satabhishekam & Mahesh's poonal (Mahesh came to the station and told me the Pope had just visited Trichur, so the roads were in great condition), that was in 1986 and then Chithi's Shashitabdaboorthi in 1988 when we moved to Kerala. During these occasions, I do not remember interacting much with Chithi. I think I was too busy playing with my cousins to notice anyone else. But when we moved to Trikkur, I got to spend a lot of time with her and had a jolly time.

One of my fondest memories is Chithi teaching me how to swim. Every weekend when I would get back from Trichur, Chithi and I would spend hours together in the Puzhai with 2 coconuts ties together by coir ropes acting as the life vest. After about a month, I learnt to swim quite well. Chithi would always accompany me every weekend to the Puzhai. Chithi has been so very patient with me.

Chithi would comb my hair with her fingers for hours on end. And get me ‘Kurunthoti’ and other herbs and ‘venda velli chennay’. So under her loving care and the lovely water, coconuts of Trikkur, my hair grew lovely and long. Chithi also gave me Raktha Chandanam for my pimples.

Watching Chithi do things is a joy. If only the authors of the 'Time & Motion' studies could see Chithi in action, they would have hit the jack-pot. Chithi does things very efficiently and perfectly without any apparent strain or getting worked up. It is truly beautiful indeed. Any thing that Chithi does from Kolams which are totally symmetrical to cooking are amazing! I would look at Chithi with respect and total amazement and wonder were there no dearth to her abilities! I learnt how to chop vegetables finely from Chithi. Also, Chithi taught me how to grate coconut, how to make Pulayaar Kozhakattai, clean a place, wash clothes and so many other small things. Chithi does things perfectly; it is so much a part of her. The other day I blended maavu(dough) for idly and I remember Chithi would wipe the extra maavu clean from the top of the vessel and the insides with water because they tend to dry and it would not look clean. She would also clean the outside of the vessel so it looked clean and shiny.

Chithi and I would enjoy all the thogayal podis more than Kuttans, Chithi would make all these podis during the week and during the weekends when I went to Trikkur we would eat it during lunch. Chithi would also grind chillies and add it to more(yogurt) and it would be so yummy! Chithi's Kadugu Managi and Chakkai Varati are world famous. Chithi and Thangam Mami would make Murrukku in the kitchen, they would spread this white cloth(Thatha's old veshti) and with their hands twist and make perfect murukkus. I would join in and at one time could do it quite well. Also coming to mind are the tough times during Sangam Chitappa's divorce when I would hang around Chithi. Chithi would do so many Pradakshanams around Bramha Rakshas and I could feel Thatha and Chithi's agony at that time and I would keep praying everything would work out ok. Sangam Chitappa at that time worked quite far away(not at Kalyan Jewellers) and he would fill his tiffin box with Naval Pazham and give it to me when he returned.

Another fond memory is catching fishes in the puzhai. Chithi showed me how and I caught quite a few and moved them to the well. A few survived, some died and the ones that survived continue to grow and keep our well clean.

I love the Trikkur Kovil Appam and Chithi and Thatha would ensure I would get one whenever anyone did the Appam at the temple. Chithi and Thatha were friendly with the Thirumeni who would come to our Puzhai Kadavu for their bath in the morning and evening. Also Maani Mama gave us Payasam regularly. I would generally follow Chithi around the house, around Trikkur whenever she visited other people and to Thoppu and Paadam.

When we moved to Trikkur was the first time I saw Vellichapadu and the 'Swami Coming' during Ayyappa Bhajanai. I am still scared of these two incidents and I would hide behind Chithi. I remember I used to be too scared to go near the elephant during Aarattu and hide behind Chithi. And of course from the day of the Aarattu, Chithi would make 'managa curry' - the lovely pickle. Chithi's manga thokku, chips, pulikaachal and Kaalan in the black kalchetty were absolutely delightful.

When Thatha was in the hospital, Chithi took things bravely. Chithi and Thatha were close in a way we cannot comprehend, they really had a special bond. Chithi lost an important part of her when Thatha passed away. I remember I did not cry at all and just stayed by her side, because I was worried about her and Chithi told me it is alright Konday, I am fine, worry pannade. Chithi did not leave the Trikkur house for a few years after Thatha passed away. Jayaraman insisted she come to Trichur and that was the first time she ventured out of the house. To this day, Chithi shies away from the main pandal during weddings and other functions.

Chithi turned 80 in March this year. Appa, Amma, Athais & Chittappas had a small celebration to mark the occasion at Trikkur. Chithi, you are indeed a specail person and some one I really admire and respect and try quite ahrd to emulate.